Sisterhood engages women of all ages to share their lives, careers, and values. Together we build and support programs to benefit the synagogue, the community, and the Jewish world at large. We look forward to you joining us!
Sisterhood programs include:
- Loom Room - Make a custom tallit, tefillin bag, challah or matzo cover! No experience needed. We will guide you through every step as weave a wonderful keepsake or special gift. Learn more...
- Judaica Shop - The Sisterhood Judaica Shop carries a complete selection of gift items and ceremonial objects for Shabbat as well as for The High Holidays, Sukkot, Simchat Torah, Hanukkah, Purim, and Passover.
- Leagrams - Every other month, Sisterhood publishes a list of all couples with an upcoming wedding anniversary. Each couple for whom a Leagram has been purchased receives an anniversary card listing the names of the well wishers.
- Torah Fund - In an average year Sisterhood has 22 Torah Fund Benefactors supporting the Women’s dorm, the Library, and the Quad at the Seminary and the Women’s dorm at the University of California.
- Torah Fund Tribute Cards - Tribute cards may be purchased to wish a mazal tov, send a get well or to express condolences. All proceeds benefit the Jewish Theological Seminary.
- Food Vouchers - Food vouchers for use at local supermarkets may be purchased from Sisterhood. The vouchers can be used like cash at checkout while the supermarket makes a 5% donation to Sisterhood. Vouchers may be purchased in the gift shop or from designated Sisterhood members.
The Sisterhood of Neve Shalom became affiliated with the Women’s League in 1952, which marked 2002 as our 50th Anniversary. The Women’s League for Conservative Judaism is interested in the preservation of traditional Judaism and recognizes that the home, synagogue, and its religious schools are necessary to further these ideals. Women’s League and our Sisterhood, as religious organizations affiliated with the conservative movement, recognize their respective responsibilities to their membership to formulate ideals of leadership which can serve as a standard toward which we can all strive.
Our ultimate goal for our membership is the ascending achievement in personal Jewish development. It is the express hope that our leadership will provide the paradigm for others to emulate. With the realization of the vital importance of women’s role in the home, synagogue and its religious school, following name and purposes are set forth.
In this spirit, the following cornerstones of commitment and observance, consistent with the halakhah of the conservative movement, are set forth: Shabbat and Yom Tov, Kashrut, Synagogue, Jewish Study, Tzedakah, and Israel.